Here is my recipe for a nice, healthy mushroom soup. Low in calories and very nutritious, as well as being delicious and warming on a miserable day. I’ve used milk because it is much less fattening than cream and tastes just as good.
tbsp olive oil
tbsp plain flour
700g mixed mushrooms (Chopped into quarters and washed.)
3 cloves garlic (Finely diced)
1 medium onion (Diced up)
1 leek (Finely diced)
150ml full fat milk
850ml chicken stock.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add butter and olive oil to a large pan and heat gently until butter is melted.
- Add in onions and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add in garlic and the leek and cook for 2 minutes longer. Make sure you stir it regularly.
- Add in the flour and stir.
- Slowly add in the stock 100ml at a time. Stir after each addition.
- Add in the milk and stir.
- Increase the heat and bring it to the boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use a hand-held blender and blend until smooth.
- Add in salt and pepper to your own personal taste. Remember add it slowly, you can add more if needed but you can’t remove it if too much goes in.
- Serve with fresh bread and butter and enjoy.