Today has been way too busy to properly prepare and organise a full on home cooked meal so I raided the cupboards and fridge and threw together a sauce. Simple, delicious and ridiculously cheap! This could easily be doubled (or trebled) and the left overs frozen to make another meal even easier!
Added bonus? You can easily convert it to vegan by swapping the stock over to vegetable. If you are on the other side of the fence and want it meatier, then brown off some mince first and swap the stock cubes to beef and a little red wine and you have a very simple Bolognese. Win, win!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 Large onion, chopped finely.
100g Chopped mushrooms.
2 Cloves garlic chopped finely.
150g Cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
1/2 Red chilli, sliced finely.
400g Tin chopped tomatoes.
1 tsp Dried basil.
1 heaped tsp Granulated sugar.
1/4 tsp Dried oregano.
1/4 tsp Dried parsley.
2 Chicken stock cubes.
1tbsp Balsamic vinegar.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry the onions, tomatoes and mushrooms over a low heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the garlic and chilli and fry for 2 mins more.
- Add in all the other ingredients and simmer over a very low heat for 20 mins, giving it occasional stirs.
- Taste and add more seasoning as required. Add it slowly, remember it’s easier to add than it is to take away!
- Serve over pasta with a Sprinkle of cheese. Tastes great with pan-fried chicken or salmon!
If you enjoyed this post then please follow both my Twitter and Facebook pages, both of which are linked below. Thank you so much for reading.