Sometimes you really fancy a good curry but really can’t be bothered to stand over a pan for hours and don’t want another unhealthy take away. I love my slow cooker! It facilitates my obsession with delicious food and my need/ want of ease. Having two little ones doesn’t allow much time or energy for cookery based adventures so having a few quick recipes that can just be chucked in the slow cooker and forgotten about is ideal. I would advise making a big batch and freezing half as an easy microwave meal for a later date. It will keep for about a month if frozen in an airtight container and will keep in the fridge for up to three days if stored correctly.
It’s mild and creamy with a serious amount of nutrition packed into every portion. I count 4 of your five a day and that’s not including the onion. Delicious, healthy and incredibly easy. What more could you possibly ask for?
Ingredients: (To serve 4)
1tbsp Olive oil.
500g Chicken breast, diced.
1 large white onion, chopped finely.
300g Mushrooms, diced.
35g Tandoori powder.
1 sliced red pepper.
3 Chicken stock cubes.
300g Baby spinach, rinsed.
2x 400g Tins of chopped tomatoes.
200ml Coconut milk.
5 Cloves of garlic, diced finely.
1 1/2 tsp Sugar.
1tsp Hot chilli powder.
1/2 tsp Tumeric.
5 Heaped tbsp Tomato Puree.
1 tsp Fennel seeds.
1 tsp Ground ginger.
250ml Milk (either whole or semi skimmed)
2 tbsp Chopped coriander.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown off the chicken for 3 mins.
- Add in the mushrooms and onion and fry for a further 2 mins.
- Add in garlic and fry for a further 1 min.
- Put all the ingredients in your slow cooker, other than the milk and coriander and then stir well.
- Cook for either 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Longer is better as it helps the flavours blend together but it will still taste great after just 4 hours cooking time!
- Add in the milk and coriander and then stir throughly.
- Serve with rice and naan bread.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then please consider sharing it with your friends on social media. A follow on Twitter, a Like on Facebook and a subscribe to my blog is always appreciated.
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Chicken and Spinach Curry”
nice one !