Here is a nice simple recipe for steak that tastes fantastic and requires the absolute minimum of effort. Perfect! Caramelised on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside, just the way steak is meant to be. The mushrooms are an ideal accompaniment and act as a healthier alternative to a sauce. They are also a method of using up the marinade because why waste something that’s so tasty when it can become something so much better with a tiny bit of work?
2 Sirloin steaks (Approximately 1 inch thick)
2tbsp Olive oil
1tbspa Soy sauce
2tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 tsp Mustard powder
1 Clove of crushed garlic
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp Red wine
250g Diced mushrooms.
- Place the steaks so that they are flat in a large dish.
- Mix together all of the ingredients (except the steak, mushrooms and olive oil) in a cup or small bowl.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks and after 30 mins turn the steaks over.
- Ideally you want to do this the day before eating (and turn them over a few times) so that all those lovely flavours soak in but an hour is plenty if you’re short on time. If you’re eating them the next day make sure you cover the dish in cling film and then refrigerate the steaks until about 30 mins before cooking.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan until it’s very hot.
- Turn the heat down slightly and place your steaks in carefully. Flip once half way through. Use the times below as a guide to cooking them to your prefered level of doneness.
- For blue: 1 min each side.
- For rare: 2 1/2 mins each side.
- For medium rare: 3 1/2 mins each side.
- For medium: 4 mins each side.
- For medium well: 5 mins each side.
- For well done: 6 mins each side.
- Leave on a warm plate, under some foil to rest for about 10 mins.
- Meanwhile fry the chopped onions in a sauce pan with 1tbsp olive oil until they are browned.
- Add in left over marinade and stir constantly. Simmer on a low heat for about two minutes.
- Place the mushrooms on the top of the steak and serve.
If you enjoyed this post then please consider following me on Facebook and Twitter and subscribing to my blog. Thank you so much!
One thought on “Red Wine and Balsamic Steak with an Easy Mushroom Sauce.”
nice & neat !!
LikeLiked by 1 person