I got the carby hankering that only copious amounts of bread can solve followed by the desperate need for chocolate. This gave me an idea for an incredibly indulgent treat which combines those two things beautifully. It’s gooey Nutella and hazelnuts nestled inside soft, fluffy white bread. All of this indulgence is covered with chopped almonds and caramalised brown sugar. When cut into the Nutella runs out just like melted chocolate, it took a massive amount of will power to not eat the whole lot.
1/2 500g bag of plain white bread mix
The correct amount of warm water for half of the bag of bread mix (read the instructions)
25g Caster sugar
300g Nutella Spread (trademarked)
75g Chopped hazelnuts
50g Chopped Almonds
1 1/2 tsp Almond essence
20g Soft brown sugar
- In a large bowl place the bread mix, water, caster sugar and almond essence and mix well until combined into a dough.
- Kneed the dough on a lightly floured surface for 5 mins until it bounces back when pressed lightly with your finger.
- Place back into the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel and leave it in a warm place for 45 mins until its doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 180oC.
- Line a large baking tray with grease proof paper and lie your dough in the centre of it. Flatten the dough out into a flat circle about 3 cm thick.
- Spread all of the Nutella over the top, leaving a 2 cm gap around the edge of the dough.
- Scatter over the hazelnuts.
- Fold the edges inwards to meet in the middle like a parcel and smooth over the joining edges.
- Using a pastry brush, cover the top of the dough parcel in the milk. Then sprinkle over the brown sugar and almonds.
- Cook on the middle shelf for 25 mins or until the top of the loaf is nicely browned.
Tip: Keep a close eye on the bread as almonds tend to burn very easily.
If you enjoyed this recipe then please follow me on Twitter
and Facebook by following the links in the side bar and subscribing to my blog. Thank you for reading!