I might have gotten ever so slightly excited at the prospect of half price blueberries and bought 2 big trays. This was without any form of food based plan other than: ‘I’m hungry and these berries are delicious and cheap. Let’s do this!’ Lesson to be learned here folks, never and I mean NEVER going shopping on an empty stomach! It gets a bit silly…
Thankfully I had some limes and butter that needed using up so I put my creative foodie hat on and created this beautifully moist cake. The blueberry and lime topping is delightfully tangy and the sponge is pleasantly sweet so they contrast wonderfully. I found that this cake is best eaten fully cooled with a topping of single cream.
Mmmmm emergency (I don’t want to waste an insane amount of fruit) cake. It was truly delicious and so easy to do that I’m going to share the recipe with all of you lovely folks. I hope you enjoy it!
Small smudge of butter to grease the tray.
Juice from two limes.
200g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
75g Caster sugar
1 Lime zest
1tsp Vanilla essence
3 Medium eggs (Room temperature)
230g Self raising flour.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Grease a large and deep non-stick cake pan with some butter.
- Put the blueberries, the lime juice and the 2tbsp of sugar in the bottom of the cake pan and stir well.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until well blended.
- Add in the eggs and stir well.
- Add in the rest of the sponge ingredients and fold them in until the mixture is smooth.
- Put the sponge mix over the top of the berries and place in the oven.
- Cook for 35 mins or until the top is brown and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray. When it’s cool carefully tip out the cake onto a plate and serve with some cream or custard.
If you enjoyed this post then please consider following me on Twitter and Facebook, following the links given in the sidebar. Thank you for reading!
One thought on “Blueberry and Lime Sponge Cake”
I have to try this 🤤